jueves, 22 de mayo de 2008

Monotonous Negativism - Uncle Vanya, by Anton Chekhov: Act 1

The first scene of Uncle Vanya is set in a regular house in the hills of a country side. A normal family, with many different people and very opposite personalities is described. I have a few initial reactions to what I think the play is going to be about regarding the first act I read. I believe the plot is going to be very monotonous with nothing going on, and simply a family with disputes between the members will be exposed. Until now, I feel most of the characters are very negative about life, and don't appreciate what they have. I also accept it is hard keeping track of all the russian names of the characters. I confess looking back at the list  of characters several times to recall who is who. What really confuses me is that not only are the characters addressed by one name, but there are various possible ways to refer to one person. They can be called their first name, last name or nick name. For example Uncle Vanya is also known as Ivan Petrovich or Voinitsky.

I am amazed at the constant fights between family members or friends because each person only hears their own opinion and wants to benefit only himself. Most characters are mean, self-centered and pessimistic. The doctor, Astrov goes around helping people to keep a life he thinks is worthless. He is constantly complaining about his work and the people around him. When talking to the nurse, Astrov said: "I'm on my feet from morning to night, I don't know what rest is, and at night I lie under the blankets afraid I might be dragged out to see a patient. During all the time you've known me, I haven't had a single free day." (Act 1, Pg. 164) I wonder if the doctor will always be unhappy with his life throughout the play? Will he ever find the true love he wants? Or perhaps, will he be so frustrated he'll consider suicide? I would also like to know if he will be an important character or simply a doctor that comes and goes without leaving an impact on someone. Will he ever have a free day? Does he really like his job, or will he quit?

Another negative character is Voinitsky, or Uncle Vanya. I believe he will always be an old scrooge and will never have fun. Whatever activity he chooses, he will be unhappy with. If he works, he'll complain, if he has nothing to do he'll complain, if it's a sunny day, he'll complain, if it's a rainy day he'll complain. He has no relief or chance of getting better. Even when the impossible love of his life, the only positive character in the play, Elena is happy, he won't be.

"Elena Vasilyevna: It's a fine day today... not too hot...
  [A pause]
  Voinitsky: A fine day to hang oneself..." (Act 1, Pg. 172)

As we can see, he is completely negative about life. This is why I say he can never change and Uncle Vanya will be a monotonous pessimistic play the whole time. Nevertheless, with characters like Elena, there is still a small hope. Will goodness prevail? Or will Vanya prevail?

No hay comentarios: