lunes, 10 de marzo de 2008

Changes in Love Songs Throughout the Years

I decided to compare "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot to "And I love her" by the Beatles. Their song goes like this:
I give her all my love
That's all I do
And if you saw my love
You'd love her too
I love her

She gives me ev'rything
And tenderly
The kiss my lover brings
She brings to me
And I love her

A love like ours
Could never die
As long as I
Have you near me

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

I chose this song because I consider The Beatles to be a great group, with good songs and very inspiring lyrics. I had never heard of this song but when I read it I thought it was great in terms of getting to all the love souls on the world. However, when comparing it to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock it was nothing like it. For one, the vocabulary and way of writing was very different in 1917 and 1964. I also think that they are very different because they were written for different purposes. Eliot is a writer, and I imagine he wrote this Love song thinking more of a poem than a song. In contrast, Paul McCartney is a singer which probably wrote And I love her specifically as a song for his group. Obviously the length is another different factor between these two love songs, Eliot's having 130 lines and the Beatles song having just 24 lines.

The meaning of these two love songs is also quite different being that And I love her is just a repetitive rhythm with very monotonous words and phrases. The only thing this song says is basically "I love you, I love you, and I will never leave you." Completely opposite is The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock having possibly many more meanings than the ones I even comprehend. What I barely do get from reading this poem is the fact Eliot isn't so descriptive and doesn't show his love very much. The poem is just about a man, Alfred Prufrock that spends his life beside one woman until he ages. Some parts are very strange and don't have anything to do with love or the rest of the song. For instance, every once in a while Michelangelo is mentioned, and all the women love him. Perhaps this is the ideal man described in the poem.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock doesn't have any kind of pattern or meter the readers can follow to find a specific meaning or important words. Every line has a different number of syllables. The only important catch is the rhyme every once in a while:

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

There is also an interesting rhyme scheme in the Beatles song, which is probably the only relationship with Eliot's love song. The words shine and mine, and sky and die repeated in the last two stanzas rhyme.

No hay comentarios: