domingo, 2 de marzo de 2008

Handbook of Epictetus, Sections 31 - 53

One of the most important ideas I got about the reading of these sections was in section 31. Epictetus said that it is important to obey the gods in what they say and not blame them for the bad things that happened to you. This same idea is also displayed in the very last section, section 53: 

"On every occasion you must have these thoughts ready: 
Lead me, Zeus, and you too, Destiny, 
Wherever I am assigned by you; 
I'll follow and not hesitate, 
But even if I do wish to, 
Because I'm bad, I'll follow anyway."  

These two sections or ideas lead me to connect the handbook of Epictetus with "The Serenity Prayer". The Serenity Prayer says to accept the things you can't change but to try changing the things you can. As told by Reinhold Niebuhr this prayer says: 

"God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Both of these pieces of text express the idea that humans have to obey everything an all powerful, supreme being such as Zeus or any other God says. Humans also have to accept things that happen to them without blaming the Gods, or try to change the bad things that happen to them.

In general throughout the end of the handbook Epictetus gives us many lessons about not judging people. I completely agree with this idea, and return to the fact that if everyone follows it, we would live in a utopia. This philosophy told by Epictetus is very wise, and I wish I could apply it to my every-day life.

2 comentarios:

J. Tangen dijo...

Any progress with "The Waste Land"?

J. Tangen dijo...

Very good! We read Epictetus to make connections with Slaughterhouse-five.