miércoles, 23 de abril de 2008

Candide: chapters 7 to 12 - A Change in Perspective

After I read these chapters of Candide, my view towards this novel completely changed. I had the fortune of acting out a few of these scenes or chapters which helped me understand completely the meaning of the happenings. I carefully studied chapters 9 and 10 and noticed many interesting things. First of all, I say I changed my view towards the novel specially because of Candide's acts. I used to think of Candide as a rich, spoiled child that came by misfortune and was thrown out of home. I also thought he was constantly changing moods depending on his circumstances. If he was lucky, he was happy, and vice-versa. Now, I started thinking of him as a criminal, because he killed everyone that came in his way. In a way, I think this sudden change of personality came about because of a sense of protection towards Cunegonde. In the ninth chapter Candide killed a priest and a jew (which I represented in the play), and was forced to run away with Cunegonde and the old lady towards a small town called Avacena.

I believe this book is also about misfortunes and how to deal with the circumstances that come about. In the tenth chapter Cunegonde is robbed of all her possessions, and the three characters are forced to sell a horse to be able to move on to a new town, called Cadiz. This chapter is characterized by all the complaining done by Cunegonde and the old lady. Because of their misfortunes, the trio decides to go to the New World in search of better lives. On the way there, the women complain always about their misfortunes, and then the old lady tells her long, tragic story in the eleventh chapter. Some people believe these chapters are mocking the New World because it is though of as a second chance, a second living after messing up lives in Europe. 

"We are going to a different world, and I expect it is the one where all goes well; for I must admit that regrettable things happened in this world of ours, moral and physical acts that one cannot approve of." (Pg. 48)

In this passage we can see, the New World is described as a completely new place, almost alien to the Old World. Perhaps this is mocking people who think this. In general, I have to say this section was sort of annoying because of all the complaining, and it completely changed my perspective about the novel. This part of the book was also about changing perspectives rapidly, and noting optimism. For example, when one person was complaining the others tried to be optimistic and say it didn't matter because they were going to start a new life. To prove optimism, and change of perspectives, I would like to end with a citation of a song from our play from the part where they are on the boat on their way to America, and Cunegonde is telling of her tragedies.

They robbed me of all my possessions
But there's always a new world
We sold one of our old horses
And everything will turn out well

No hay comentarios: