jueves, 24 de abril de 2008

Homework - What's the Point?

I read the short story "Homework," by Helen Simpson, found in The New Yorker. This story is about a teenage kid that comes home and, as any regular kid, left his homework for the very last minute. He starts complaining saying that a 13 year old boy isn't capable of writing a 3-page story. He decides to ask his mom for help, which is the narrator of the story, and explains she will only help him this once. They talk for a long time discussing a topic that would change a boy's life. Together, they create a fictitious story about his parents divorcing. The story basically goes on describing what the boy writes while his mom gives him all the ideas. It kind of gets interesting in the end when the boy explains his only way out of his parents divorce was watching soccer, or football as the British say, and states his love for Manchester United. The very end of the story is quite cool when George chants "UNITED, UNITED" ironically, since his parents are not united at all. 

I found this story quite meaningless and boring. Even though it is well written, and I felt connected to it, the plot isn't very exciting. The author clearly doesn't have any imagination whatsoever. I chose it because I hate homework and this title caught my attention. Perhaps it could've been a funny and interesting theme, but it wasn't well developed. Putting my boredom aside, I do have to say I felt quite connected to the story. My whole life I have thought of my parents divorce as the most tragic thing in the world. If this fear ever came true I know it would be an event that would change my life completely. The theme of soccer is quite present in my life also. Ever since I was a small boy I've always liked this sport, and my passion towards Nacional has never ceased even though I left Medellin as a small boy. The mentioning of Manchester United as George's favorite team made me quite happy, seeing that this is the team I support in England. Just yesterday I watched the semi-final of this year's UEFA Champion's League between Manchester United and Barcelona.

Going on I have to say there is really no point in this story. I can see how someone would like to write something about homework, but I can't see how someone would think of such an uninteresting thing. It is probably easier to think about something interesting and exciting than something that boring. I was almost as depressed reading this story as George was writing his own work. "It's English so it should be all right, but he still wants to make it hard. We've got to do three sides of paper out of our own heads." (Pg. 1) I can't believe I chose such a boring story to read. I can't even think of a few paragraphs to blog about!

No hay comentarios: