miércoles, 27 de febrero de 2008

Handbook of Epictetus, Sections 1-15

As I was reading the first section of "The Handbook" I encountered myself with a curious situation. Epictetus suggested that whenever we encountered ourselves with a harsh appearence we should ignore it, surpass it, or say it doesn't affect us. In a way, this reminded me to "The Seventh Seal" where the main character surpasses death, stands up to him, and beats death. Throughout the reading I also encountered myself various times with the fact Epictetus says if you want something, and really desire it, you will get the complete opposite. For example he says: "But if you want both those great goals and also to hold public office and to be rich, then you may perhaps not get even the latter just because you aim at the former too" (pg. 11) This relates specifically to my own life because my mother is sometimes supersticious so she might knock on wood every once in a while or tell you not to say it is going to rain because it really will.

In the third section I also carefully looked at the part where Epictetus said: "If you kiss your child or your wife, say that you are kissing a human being; for when it dies you will not be upset." This is very interesting because just the other day I was thinking about all the movies where two loved ones are fighting, and before one of them can say they're sorry, the other might die. The other person will have this on their conscience for the rest of their lives, so every once in a while, I remember this and try to always end off happily with a person because you never know what can happen to them. For example I remember to tell a loved one I love them just to be safe.

Throughout the whole handbook the author really knows what people are thinking, and he basically gives people lessons about life.I specifically found the fifth section very interesting because it applies to everyone's life. Epictetus tells us it is not right to blame someone else for our wrong - doings. Another grate lesson is the eighth section; It is simple and perfect: "Do not seek to have events happen as you  want them to, but instead want them to happen as they do happen, and your life will go well." I really do believe in this statement, and if one really did it, I believe it would work, meaning your life really would go better. I might even try applying this in my own life, however it is not easy.

No hay comentarios: