martes, 12 de febrero de 2008

Reading Blog on Third Chapter of Slaughterhouse - Five

The third chapter of the book (pgs. 52 - 71) carries on with the same topic, and same ideas that were shown in the second chapter. Billy Pilgrim is still in World War II and constantly has visions of other time periods in his life; he is going unstuck in time. In this chapter Billy and Weary are captured by the German's and taken to the place where all the American prisoners are being kept.

I really enjoyed reading this chapter and wish to interpret some of the things I thought about. Kurt Vonegut gave me a clear vision of what was happening in the war, and I am really being entertained by his writing. The part of the chapter in which the German's take Billy's and Weary's shoes really amused me, and for one reason or another reminded me of the 10th grade integration trip in which everybody took off their shoes to go through the mud. This situation also completely resembles to whenever your parents take your iPod and tell you you can't use it for a week. These two circumstances are times when you are deprived of something you want or need but can't use it anymore; You're privacy has been stripped from you. Anyways, there are many parts of this chapter which remind me of things that have happened to me, but none of them are obviously in the same circumstance as in the book. Some of these parts are: The way Billy walks bobbling up and down (reminded me of the other day when one of my friend's told me everybody had one leg longer the the other), and the part when Billy falls asleep in work while looking at a patient's eyes (reminded me I think I should go get my eyes checked). The point is that many of the things I read about in books can be related to my life.

After this chapter I am wondering about what will happen later on in the novel, but while I read it I was constantly thinking about one question: Why is Slaughterhouse - Five a banned book? I heard that in some places of the world this novel had been banned, I suspect (for now) that it is because it is a story of the second World War, and perhaps because it mentions many deaths. I am also still wondering about why this book is called Slaughterhouse - Five. Perhaps I will find out later in the story.

No hay comentarios: